Reno Update: Phase 1 Complete (plus a little something extra in the back)

We are making progress on our home renovations which is very exciting!  This past week, people came in to do some waterproofing.  As I’ve mentioned before, we have some dampness in the back corner of our basement whenever it rains.  I wanted to do some work in the basement but not before the water issue was fixed.  The last thing I wanted was to dump $30,000 into updating the space only to have it ruined after a wet winter!

We met with a few different companies and decided it was best to do exterior waterproofing and also install a sump pump.

The project took about 4 days and cost $7,000.  Don’t you just hate these projects that are super expensive (but necessary!) and add no aesthetic value to your home?


After the waterproofing was complete

Up next is phase 2 of our renos: replacing drywall, removing the carpet, installing laminate and a design overhaul of the space.

To get ready for this, we had to start clearing out the space.  I was beyond overwhelmed but we made great progress with the playroom and the guest room (which was more of a storage space).


Playroom before


Playroom after


‘Guest room’ before


‘Guest room’ after (you can actually see the bed!)

We got rid of a lot of stuff… hopefully our local thrift store was happy when we dropped it all off!


All the stuff we got rid of

Now we can get our contractor in to start on the inside work!

As for the little something extra in the back?  We have a new fence!  A new neighbour moved in during the summer and he is doing a ton of work in the house next door.  One of the items on his to-do list was to clean up his backyard which M and I were thankful for… it was a total mess!


Fence before

Now we have new wooden fence that only cost us $700 and we didn’t need to do any of the labour 🙂


Fence after

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

House Reno Update

So I am writing this post from a coffee shop in North Bay.  I flew up here yesterday for work and now I have a few hours to kill before my flight home.  What better way than with a blog post?  I also plan to head down to the water for some dinner and then to the airport to watch some Bones before my plane leaves.  I’m bummed I won’t get to see the girls before they go to bed but I am appreciating this time I have to myself!

On to the post…

Back in June, I talked about our potential renovation plans.  We were looking into the prospect of putting a second storey on our bungalow to increase our living space.  Unfortunately, the project was going to be much more costly than expected.  For right now, the $400,000 price tag (after all of the necessary construction, finishing and city fees) wasn’t going to work so we had to rethink our plan.

Instead of a topper, we have decided to do some renovations in our basement.  We currently have a finished basement but we rarely use it, which is unfortunately considering it doubles our living space!  The main issue is that we have water come in whenever it rains.  No puddles, just general dampness in the back corner, but it is enough for me to be concerned that there may be mold behind the walls.  I don’t want the girls being down there if there is a chance that it isn’t safe!

Our new reno plan has 3 phases:

Phase 1: Fix the water issue via external waterproofing and a sump pump

Phase 2: Replace the drywall where there’s water damage and replace the carpeted floor with laminate

Phase 3: Turn the laundry room into a laundry/bathroom combo complete with a stand up shower

Now for the budget piece of it all… we’ve been in touch with a few different companies and contractors to get some quotes and we are looking at about $35,000.  Much better than the $400,000 for a second storey and even cheaper than the $50,000 I had budgeted.

Here’s the approximate breakdown:

Phase 1: $7,500

Phase 2: $12,000

Phase 3: $15,000

We are in the process of signing on with a waterproofing company and we’re hoping to start that part of the project in about 6 weeks.  I’m so excited and I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated on our progress!